Through Tech-Up, Science World delivers province-wide programs for students and teachers that include coding and computational thinking.
For teachers, Tech-Up offers coding and digital skills, barrier-free hands-on professional development experiences for educators. These modules have been developed in consultation with expert learning technology teachers from the Vancouver School District (SD39) and the Conseil Scolaire Francophone (SD 93). All training has supported teachers to meaningfully incorporate coding and digital learning outcomes aligned with the provincial curriculum into their own classrooms.
- STEAM Days of Summer: Computational Thinking (Vancouver August 2019, Vancouver and Prince George August 2020)
- In-service and after-school teacher workshops
Thank you to those teachers who participated in the 2018 Tech-Up Education in BC Survey! We heard from over 120 educators about your experiences with teaching and learning focused on coding, computational thinking and digital skills, as well as your classroom needs and hopes for the future. We will use these findings to improve development and delivery within the programs above, and will be sharing results with several of our partners who deliver similar programming across the province.
For students, the Tech-Up project has built upon Science World’s robust suite of facility-based and province-wide outreach programming to deliver coding and computational thinking activities into well-established educational programs:
- Scientists & Innovators in the Schools
- School Workshops (also available at The Exploration Place in Prince George)
- Community Kits in public and school libraries
- Demonstration lessons in remote and First Nations communities
- Tech-up Showcase events
Tech-Up Showcase: Vancouver (February 2019)
Tech-Up Showcase: Prince George (February 2019)
For more information, contact us at [email protected]